Housing While on Co-op

The university is committed to the co-op experience, and for that reason, has designated the co-op academic year to be Fall through Spring Semesters, inclusive. Although co-op students residing on campus may opt to live off-campus during their work terms, they are expected to return to campus residence during their academic terms. However, as upper-class students, they may buy out the remainder of their contracts (50% of room price for each remaining semester).

If you choose not to live in the residence hall community during your work section(s), please be aware that HFS cannot guarantee your return to the same room or hall upon your return. However, every effort will be made to assign you a room in the same hall, if that is your preference. 

Students are not charged for canceling their housing agreements due to a co-op placement. 

Students currently on co-op that would like a future housing assignment may complete a housing application when available. 

Frequently Asked Questions for Co-op Students

If you are a co-op student, you may opt to stay in the residence hall community during your work sections, but you are not required to do so. You must, however, follow an established check-out procedure

If your co-op assignment is in the Cincinnati area, you may opt to stay in the residence hall community. If so, you must:

Before leaving the residence hall for your co-op assignment you must complete the following checkout procedure:

  • Provide University Housing a letter from your Career Education advisor confirming your co-op assignment and dates (term) of your co-op. A confirmation letter on the employer letterhead from the co-op employer will suffice in the absence of notification from your co-op advisor.
  • Complete a Proper Check-Out at the end of the term, scheduling it in advance with your RA.
  • Indicate on the Proper Check-Out Form the reason you’re are leaving ("Co-op work assignment"), the specific term and year of your return, roommate requests (if any), and room and/or hall preference, if any. (All roommate requests must be mutual and must include student ID number.)
  • Provide a forwarding address.

Co-op students may choose not to participate in any meal plan during their work sections, providing they complete a Petition Release form prior to the beginning of their work section.  
Complete a Meal Plan Change Request prior to the beginning of their work section or within 5 days of the first day of class each term.

Resident Advisors and Co-op

UC is committed to offering all students the opportunity for experiential learning with Co-op 2.0: On-Campus Co-ops.

Student employees are an integral part of the university talent system, and now students may earn academic credit for their employment on campus.

Benefits of working on campus

  • Convenient work location that offers professional growth and skill development
  • Active engagement in the university ecosystem
  • Increased awareness of one’s professional skills

As with all returning RA staff members, you would be asked to complete a returner application and complete the student staff evaluation process, as well as meet with a member of the hall senior staff within Resident Education and Development.

With a satisfactory evaluation, you would be considered a returner and could be selected as such when hall community staffs are selected.

If you are on an out-of-town co-op or on study abroad during spring interviews, you will participate in a phone or web interview with RED senior staff members.